Do you want to be at the heart of a high-growth, well-funded, digital health company, that is revolutionising the way that clinicians gain early insight into their patients’ conditions?
Xim’s Lifelight technology extracts clinical vital signs (pulse, blood oxygen, blood pressure, respiration rate) from simple video feeds (from standard webcams).
The solution is based on combining established state-of-the art machine vision (specifically Remote Photoplethysmography), signal processing and machine learning. It has been trialled at a number of the UK’s largest teaching hospitals, resulting in possibly the largest dataset of its type – one million heartbeats – for supporting machine learning. Currently registered as a Class I medical device, xim is currently in the process of securing CE marking for Lifelight as a Class IIb medical device.
As a Software as a Medical Device product (SaaMD), Lifelight’s continued development depends on the timely production of very high-quality software code, its delivery to user devices and backend servers and its continued availability and efficient operation.
Having recently secure further significant funding, xim is looking to further improve the speed, quality, and efficiency of its software delivery function. To this end we are looking for a Head of Engineering to be responsible for all aspects of software delivery.
At xim we have married software development within a strict ISO 13485 quality management system with an agile approach, that means new approaches and functions can be rapidly prototyped, tested and rolled out to production. We are now looking for a Head of Engineering who can embrace and enhance this process.
About the role
The role is to ensure that Lifelight’s suite of software solutions are developed and delivered, on time, on budget, to exacting quality and reliability standards while retaining the flexibility of an agile approach to software engineering. This is a senior position within xim. We are looking for someone who can grow the role and proactively work to continuously improve processes and outcomes.
We currently use both internal and external developers: we would like the successful candidate to grow the internal capability and ensure that the external development team works at maximum efficiency.
The solution takes a number of forms and has various implementations at different levels of maturity (from R&D and demo products through to formal medical devices). The functionality is delivered in stand-alone form or as componentry within a Software Development Kit. All implementations currently consist of an app connected to sophisticated algorithms running on remote servers.
Working with the Product Manager and CTO and reporting to the COO, the successful candidate will:
- Manage and be responsible for the efficient use of development resources: both internal and external, including managing team priorities to deliver the solution goals. Ensure that clear deadlines and milestones are set and achieved
- Introduce industry best practices to all aspects of the development life-cycle
- With the CTO and Product Manager, grow and lead the xim internal software development team: act as line manager for all xim software employees
- Manage the delivery of technical service over the operational infrastructure (currently the solution is delivered to iOS devices via the App Store, and the back-end functionality via various AWS functions). This includes release management and overseeing and ensuring high levels of availability and resilience
- Interface with and provide support to the xim scientific team: helping the process of converting prototype algorithms and machine learning models into fully tested, verified, validated and documented medical device quality code
- Ensure that the solution is delivered according to the standards defined in the company Quality Management System (QMS). As a medical device manufacturer, the QMS is certified as compliant with the requirements of ISO 13485 and IEC 62304 (covering the provision of documented evidenced demonstration that the device has been developed according to best principles against agreed specifications)
- Work with the regulatory compliance team to continue to develop the design, development, and technical support aspects of the xim QMS
- While complying with the QMS, ensure that new functions can be rapidly prototyped, tested, and refined prior to adding to the medical device. We use the agile approach for this at xim
We are looking for someone who can show aptitude and substantial experience – at least five years – with:
- Experience in managing and growing successful software development teams: both in-house and outsourced
- Experience of the use of agile development methods
- Experience in delivering high quality solutions in challenging environments
- Experiencing in providing operational support to a solution in a high use setting
- A relevant degree to BSc or MSc level (or above) in a relevant subject
- Experience of working in a regulated environment (medical, financial, military or other regulated sector)
- Experience of working within a Quality Management System
- Experience of working with and developing certified medical devices
Why join us?
- Create solutions that change the way that patients access healthcare across the globe
- Work at the leading edge of computer and clinical science
- An opportunity to be a key part of a very fast growing, ‘disruptive’ company with the potential to truly revolutionise the delivery of many aspects of clinical care
- An opportunity to be one of the earliest senior technical team members in a rapidly growing company that has been identified as a key clinical innovation over the coming decade by the NHS and UK Government
- Work alongside people from different backgrounds who are global experts in their field
- Flexible working
- A competitive salary
- An opportunity to learn and grow in expertise in novel computing techniques
Xim is a firm proponent of diversity: we are committed to celebrating and respecting diversity, equity and inclusion in its workforce.
Xim is based on The University of Southampton Science Park, in Chilworth. The work will require some days each week onsite (at least initially) but could move to primarily remote / home working if appropriate.
If you would like to apply for this role, please send your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org