23rd March 2020: UK-based xim Limited, creators of Lifelight are supporting the call from the World Health Organisation to “test, test, test…” in the wake of the Coronavirus epidemic
Lifelight is the only data validated – recording over 1 million heartbeats – CE Marked – Vital Signs technology that allows anyone to easily measure Blood Pressure, Respiration Rate and Heart Rate (with Oxygen Saturation coming soon), just by looking into a device’s camera for up to 40 seconds.
These key measurements which can be taken remotely and are 100% contactless can ease the pressure on the NHS frontline, allowing a larger number of people to be tested safely and quickly and the right clinical pathway selected.
100% Contactless results in the following benefits to clinicians working with COVID-19 patients:
- Remote, no face-to-face contact with at risk or infected patients
- Provides critical physiological data to support clinical decision making
- Supports adoption of NEWS2 capture, especially where combined with introduction of e-observations
- Can be integrated with “Digital First” remote consultation systems, therefore results from Lifelight can be fed into patient’s records (EPR).
Benefits to COVID-19 Patients:
- Avoids the need to travel / contact clinicians
- Uses own smartphone or tablet
- Completely contactless, non-invasive technology
- Pain and discomfort free
- Patient does not have to remove any clothing for observations to be taken (just face area must be visible)
- A set of clinical observations are taken in 40 seconds as opposed to only having the time to take those clinically necessary using conventional methods which improves quality and patient experience for their consultation
- Excellent for use with patients sensitive/averse to physical touch such as those with mental health issues, painful long-term conditions, dementia, frailty, learning disabilities etc.
- Patients supported in their usual home environment are more likely to respond favourably to interventions.
COVID-19 & the importance of Blood Pressure testing
People with high blood pressure could be at greater risk of dying from COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, according to a doctor in China working on the outbreak.
Professor Du Bin, who was sent to the city of Wuhan where the outbreak started in December last year, told Bloomberg that of a group of 170 patients who died in the city, almost half had the condition also known as hypertension.
Du, director of the intensive care unit at Peking Union Medical College Hospital in the Chinese capital of Beijing, said on the phone from Wuhan: “That’s a very high ratio.”
“From what I was told by other doctors and the data I can see myself, among all the underlying diseases, hypertension is a key dangerous factor,” he said.[i]
Lifelight has been proven to be equivalent to conventional automated cuffs for Blood Pressure monitoring and in terms of Diastolic Blood Pressure superior to some clinical-grade blood pressure monitors, with regards to range of errors.
Lifelight can be integrated with any healthcare’s provider’s existing IT infrastructure, so that a patient’s vital sign measurements can automatically flow into their patient record (EPR), saving clinical time and avoiding manual entry errors.
Contact us to find out more about how we’re helping to fight COVID-19 #FightCOVID
[i] Source: Newsweek – 11/3/2020 – People with high blood pressure could be at greater risk